Well this is one of the new emerging popular virus. It has spread rapidly, and most of your computers are infected. Conficker spreads via the USB pendrive along with the autorun.inf
or via network by exploiting bugs in the Network Stack on Windows systems.
Skip to Manual Removal steps.
Spreading via USB Drives
Conficker spreads on USB Drives by creating an autorun.inf,
A folder structure
The file is a DLL file, which is executed by the obfuscated autorun.inf.
The DLL file is loaded with RunDLL
The presence of conficker can be detected by looking at the ICON of the USB Pen drive. If it is a folder icon, then its almost sure that the drive is infected with "conficker".
Manual Detection and Removal
Conficker disables the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Windows Automatic Updates. So If you find these services disabled, be alert. (To checkout what services are running and their statuses Run > services.msc.
Follow these steps to detect and remove Conficker virus:
Run regedit.exe registry editor
Double click the key to see if there is a random value at its end.
Note the "zbtthjd" at the end, this is the virus. A list of valid entries in the field (from Microsoft) is given below to help you find the random string. (Usually at the end).
- Note the random string. (in this case "zbtthjd")
- Now goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\zbtthjd\Parameters, note the ServiceDLL Parameter, It would be something like c:\windows\system32\<randomstring>.dll
- Take a Command prompt and run
svchost -k netsvcs. This should stop the netsvcs and the virus.
- Try deleting the DLL file or else rename the DLL file to something else
- Restart the System.
- Renable Services Automatic Updates and BITS.
Note if you find these methods not applicable in your case, the virus must have morphed to some other form.
Hope it works :)