It is a mess if you reinstall your computer or lost your iTunes library or you want to add a song from your office computer but your iTunes keeps on saying about "Erase and Resync" your library. Erasing and Resyncing is foolish, because you will loose all your favorite songs on your iPod. Follow these steps to resynch iTunes from iPod.
- Close iTunes if running and Goto the iTunes folder
(My Documents\My Music\iTunes\ on Windows XP)
- Clear your current iTunes library by deleting iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml
Note:This step will erase your iTunes library only not your music files :)
- Now plug in your iPod and it will be detected as a removable media on Windows.
- Goto My Computer and open the drive
- If it is empty, goto Tools > Folder Options > And tick Show Hidden Files and Folders Option
- Copy the iPod_control folder to any drive on your computer.
- After copying now run iTunes and press erase and resync.
- Your iTunes library would be empty so it is okay to resynch.
- Now unhide the folder you copied over to your drive by right clicking and selecting the properties menu item, and untick the hidden attribute.
- Start iTunes
- Drag that folder to your iPod to resync it.
- TADA, your iPod is resynced with a new iTunes Library